New Books Reviews

Monday 13 July 2015

Virtual Book Tour - New blog sharing my collection of 30+ years of Mystical books. I begin by unlocking the hidden secrets of the old bookcase ...


I thought it was time to reveal my secret passion - my thirty something years of a search for the meaning of life!!! 

During that time, I have followed my instinct and chosen books, the thoughts held between boards of paper, to aid me in my Quest!

Years of study, some of it fruitless, some enlightening, most of it, nevertheless, I have found to be intensely interesting.

So here, in this little blog, I will attempt to share a few of those books which now lay idle on my creaking bookshelves.




My reasoning behind this activity is to help spark an interest, perhaps, for those who seek wisdom and knowledge on subjects that may help one to gain insight on the mysteries of life and death.

I don't regard myself to be anything but a fellow traveller, and as I walk along the long winding road of truth, I have found many wrong turnings and barriers. I simply show you some of the directions that I have investigated. Directions which may or may not be right for you.

I hope you will enjoy my bookish musings and that you will feel inspired to share your own, too.

Please leave comments and recommendations of your own if you wish.





The Bookcase in the corner ..... Roughly arranged in order of Author....once!
Now random because of several moves around various rooms, and lack of space on other bookshelves.



First random selection of interesting books......




I will start with a book that I read about thirty years ago -

'ON THE EDGE OF THE ETHERIC  OR SURVIVAL AFTER DEATH SCIENTIFICALLY EXPLAINED'  by ARTHUR FINDLEY.

My copy is a 1967 reprint hardback edition. (A 65th impression)  It was first published in 1931.
I have read it several times over the years and it was one of the first books on this subject that I acquired. I think I bought it from a book dealer who used to send me catalogues through the post. Pre internet, pre personal computers!


Front, showing Dust wrapper..




Back of Dust wrapper...



Published by Psychic Press
Light Blue cloth binding
Original price on Dust Wrapper 15s

The blurb on the inside of Dust Wrapper ....

'We retain in the Etheric, to which we pass at death, our bodily appearance, our memories, and our affections.

'As we are now so shall we be hereafter; as we sow so shall we reap.' 

We have come from the Etheric; we return to the Etheric.'

Our physical life is but a small part of our life, which, coming from the Etheric, returns to it at death. 
There it continues to function in a world both real and tangible.'



Inside the book itself there are blank endpapers, followed by 10 pages of 'EXTRACTS from some of the BRITISH PRESS REVIEWS of 'ON THE EDGE OF THE ETHERIC'.

It is quoted as being ' certainly the most widely reviewed book of the Winter Book Season of 1931 - 1932.

Reviews included by, for example, Sir Oliver Lodge,F.R.S., 
The Times,
The very Rev.Dr. Norman Maclean (Ex moderator of the Church of Scotland) preaching on this book in St. Cuthbert's church, Edinburgh (Sunday 28th February 1932),
Colonel the Right Hon. R. G. Sharman Crawford, D.L; Deputy Govenor of Northern Ireland.

The Glasgow Citizen. - 'On The Edge of the Etheric'  is more than welcome. The book is of more than usual interest in view of the fact that Mr. Findley was for many years a prominent stockbroker in the city before retiring to the South of England.  A very interesting book.'

Methodist Recorder. - 'Every Christian believes that the soul survives death, and, therefore, there is no impossibility in the Spiritualistic idea that communication with the dead is a fact.' 

Psychic News. - '.....the most important book in all the literature of Spiritualism.'

SEEK AND YOU WILL FIND, FOR YOU HAVE AIDS FROM NATURE FOR THE DISCOVERY OF TRUTH.  BUT IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE YOURSELF, BY GOING ALONG THOSE WAYS, TO DISCOVER THAT WHICH FOLLOWS, LISTEN TO THOSE WHO HAVE MADE THE ENQUIRY.' - EPICTICUS.

This is one of the books that I call a 'signpost book' - it was one of those influential in forming my understanding of the possibility of survival of the death of the physical body.
A  'Oh I see, I get it' - moment, that once realised, could never be lost. 
A stepping stone or a piece of the puzzle...

Contents Page



So that is the end of PART ONE of BOOK ONE....I hope you find it of interest..... I will continue this review in my next post.

Thanks for stopping by....





No comments:

Post a Comment